martes, 26 de mayo de 2020

CONNOR SIMMS-PAGE, from UK


My time as an Auxiliar in Malaga


It's difficult to look back and remember what it was like to first arrive here, eight months ago. I had never lived outside of the North-West of England before, never learnt a language, and never taught in a classroom. You might say I was unprepared. I would say that I was lucky. Very lucky. I ended up in a school with two other auxiliares, a friendly and welcoming staff (and students), and an incredibly supportive co-ordinator in Pilar.


It was thanks to them that I was able to survive the difficult first few months. Spain is both very similar to the UK and incredibly different at once. Some things you think are 'human' turn out to be just cultural, and vice versa. Spain is a nation of extroverts, proud, happy, relaxed people - the opposite of the British, and me in particular.


For the first month or so I was so terrified of making a mistake with my Spanish that I simply didn't say anything at all, and probably appeared very rude to many people. I was brave enough to move around the world to a different country but too nervous to say anything to anyone there.


But, as I started taking Spanish classes, I started to follow the advice that I myself was giving to students - nobody cares what you sound like, as long as you make an effort. And the more willing I was to fail, the easier things were. I realised that you don't need to be an extrovert to 'fit in' in a different country, but you have to be open to other people who are.


Today was the first day I've been able to go for a casual walk for ~2 months now due to the quarantine, and I saw all the signs of Spring. It was beautiful, but it made me realise I have less than a month left here - it seems like I've barely arrived.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.

ENGLISH

TEODORA PRERADOVIK

Hi! My name is Tea and I’ve been working as an auxiliar de conversación in Málaga’s Universidad Laboral Núm. 1 since the fall of 2023. I’m f...